Monday, May 18, 2009

Words

Have you ever struggled with words? Maybe been in a situation where you can't find the words to convey your feelings? Have you felt called by God to speak up but didn't because of your own fears?

As an aspiring writer, this happens to me more than I would like to admit. This struggle has also found its way into my career and personal life. Sometimes, I even plan my words and then second guess them over and over.

I want to share with you a few verses from the book of Exodus (4:10-12). These verses are found in the middle of the Lord speaking to Moses through the burning bush. After being called by the Lord to go to Egypt and free his brethren, Moses becomes insecure in his speech. "Then Moses said to the Lord, "O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." So the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say."

This portion of the story has given me great peace. I believe that the Lord blesses the tongue of those He has chosen. When Moses is afraid, the Lord gives him encouragement. I love this, don't you? Moses tells the Lord of his fears and insecurities. In the midst of urgency to release the Israelites from their bondage, our awesome God takes time to ease those fears. Even then, Moses fears weigh heavy and he asks the Lord to send someone else. Here's another great thing, the Lord provides Moses with support. He sends Aaron with Moses. Verse 14 tells us that when Aaron sees Moses, Aaron will be glad of heart. In that moment, Moses is to speak the Lord's words to Aaron and allow his brother to "do the talking."

Doesn't this give you peace? Think about this. Even when we allow our fears to keep us from the words God would have us to speak, He provides another way. Our Lord doesn't give up on us. Just look at how He used Moses.

The next time you are left speechless, remember these verses. Know that your Lord loves you and created you.

"I praise You, Father, that You made my mouth, Teach me how to speak and what I should say."

No comments:

Post a Comment