Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Journey

Have you ever sat in the midst of an anniversary party thinking about the happily married couple? I have. Do you ever watch the way they look at each other and wonder what secrets they share? I do. I'm talking about the "mile marker" anniversaries. The ones that are filled with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. How did the couple mark their miles together? I can tell you of one particular couple that marked their miles with the love found in 1 Corinthians 13. My grandfather and grandmother on my mother's side. I remember sitting at family gatherings and watching them. The way they finished each other's thoughts, laughed at a joke only they understood and smiled at each other with their eyes. They lived miles away from my family. So, I wasn't able to see this from them regularly. But, I caught on to it just the same.

Just before I was married, my grandmother gave me some advice. I took her words to heart because I longed for a marriage that would model the one I had watched for so many years. She encouraged me to make the journey count as much as the destination. Marriage is a journey shared by two people with a common destination. There are detours, bumps, bridges and mountains.

Last year, my husband and I marked our 15th wedding anniversary. There is no other person I would want to travel with on this journey. We've been through good and bad. I'm sure there will be more of each along the way. I find myself finishing his thoughts and laughing when he makes a joke that only we share. And, the best part for me is when someone compliments me on our marriage. That tells me that they see us smiling with our eyes.

I am marking our miles with 1 Corinthians 13. If you are newly married or celebrating a mile marker, I encourage you to savor the journey.

1 comment:

  1. I love they way you put to words what we think. I agree to have a journey like that is what all couples dream of.

    ReplyDelete