Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tending the Fire


It's almost that time of year ... the time when Jerry and I look forward to weekend campfires. We don't go to any campground or lake for this retreat. We're blessed to have it right in our own backyard. And, this year ... I'm looking forward to it even more than in years past.

On nearly any summer weekend, you can find us gathered around a large fire ... roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. Sometimes there's a big pot of chili simmering or sometimes ... just our family ... no food.

As the fire begins to burn hot, the calls go out to family and friends ... "We've got the fire going, come on over." And soon there are more lawn chairs and smiles around the fire. The adults sit with feet stretched close to the warmth while the kids play games of "hide and seek" or catch.

This morning, I was praying for some young people in my life and even some acquaintances. These people are in my prayers for so many reasons. Some are loved ones going through difficult times. Others are names rather than faces. Names that have been mentioned in passing ... names of people who are in need of prayer. For each, this morning my prayer was that they would have a relationship with Christ.

Not skin deep ... but soul deep. You know what I'm talking about ... the kind of relationship that seeps into your bones and into your spirit. And, as I prayed ... I thought about our campfires. How hard it is sometimes to get that small ember to become a bright, steady and hot flame. There are times when my husband has been down on his knees blowing a steady gentle breath on the ember hiding beneath the kindling. If he gets up too soon, walks away and doesn't tend to the fire ... it fizzles and dies out.

Each of us is born with that ember. The small place within our soul that knows a Greater power is out there. The question is ... who is willing to get down and look for that ember? Who is willing to spend time down on their knees, breathing life into that ember? Who is willing to stay and tend the fire once it starts?
Once the fire is burning steady, others draw near to its warmth and light. It brings calm ... comfort ... retreat.

My prayer this morning ... for these souls ... a breath of life on the ember.

Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. "


5 comments:

  1. Wow! I amiagine time spent with your family just hanging out and being loved would be enough to fan that ember in some of htose people your heart longs to see know Christ. I will pray for you, that you will have widom and use the tools God has given you to reach those He has put in your life. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining you in prayer that the lives of these young people and so many more across our great nation will become enveloped with the deep burning flame of CHRIST! Praying our precious Heavenly Father will set them ablaze for HIM!

    Hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing woman Aine! You have been there many times to tend to my "fire". Thank you!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you tied it all together to make one powerful post. Joining with you in prayer for those in our sphere of influence to keep that ember alive and for them to find the igniting power of a relationship with Jesus Christ.

    Btw, thanks for stopping by again. The bible study is going great. I'm also in my Overview of the New Testament class at Koinonia Institute with Chuck Missler. That one is full of revelation as well. (My 9-year old is now officially enrolled since they allow children (18 & under) of students to participate for free.) It's awesome.

    Have a blessed day, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aine,

    How funny as I was sitting in my back yard today, I was thinking of the perfect place to put a firepit for just those reasons. Love how you put the spin on it dealing with the embers in us all. I for one am willing to take the time to make sure that I attempt to blow life back into someone and will stick around to make sure it ignites!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete