Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crazy Cats!

These are two of our crazy cats. You can't really tell from this picture, but they are sitting out in the middle of a snow storm. This snapshot was taken from my kitchen, looking out onto our deck. These guys sit out there regardless of the weather. It isn't that they don't have any shelter. The barn and shed are right behind our house. The hayloft is full of hay bales to keep them warm. Nope, they've decided to sit out there and wait for food. When they were little, we used to put a few leftovers out for them. Now, they're spoiled.


They know the barn is warm. They know we'll feed them every morning. They know there will be enough food for each of them. But, still ... they wait and beg.


As I watched the snow pile on top of their furry backs, I decided they were truly insane. What kind of animal would sit outside in the freezing cold, just on the chance of a snack from me?


Then, I realized ... I am that kind of animal. How often do I turn to this world for comfort, happiness or peace? I sit at the doorstep of this earth, waiting ...


In my heart, I know there is no need for me to wait there ... begging. I know God will provide everything I need. He always has ... He always will. Yet ... I wait at the doorstep of the world. I wait for the next thing to make me happy, the next person to accept me. To be honest, I guess I'm sometimes afraid I might miss something if I leave ... like someone else might get to the "opportunity" first. While the storms of this world swirl around me, I sit there ... knowing shelter is right within my reach. Why don't I turn to Him more often? Why don't I trust Him enough to leave my spot on the world's doorstep and fall into the security that's waiting?


What about you? Are you sitting at the doorstep of the world?


Deuteronomy 8:3 "He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD."

2 comments:

  1. What an inspiration to truly trust God, our Father, to not only provide just what we need but in turning to Him first instead of a last resort.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete