Saturday, February 20, 2010

Make it Quick!


I have a five year old boy ... Can I get an AMEN from any parent who has been through this stage???



Out of our three boys, Kregg has the strongest will. He's a blessing in Buzz Light Year pajamas and a terror in an "I'll trade my brother for a tractor" t-shirt.



Last week, he decided to push it to the limit. Jerry and I were sitting at the dining room table eating supper with my parents. Kregg and James (our 7 year old) were playing Wii in the living room. Arguments began to burst from the two boys as each of them decided who should be winning the Mario Baseball game. I broke in to let them know anymore outbursts would result in "timeout" and further punishment.



A few minutes later ... more yelling, fighting and mean talk between the brothers. As promised, they were told to turn the game off and find a seat at the kitchen table for timeout. James went with a puckered lower lip and slumped shoulders ... Kregg on the other hand ... well, that was totally different. Whenever he's in trouble ... he lets the world know how mistreated he is by his mom.



As Kregg passed me, he said ... "Make it quick, I've got a game to play."



Yes, he did! I am not making this up. He knew the minute the words left his 5 year old lips ... he was in Trouble!



I punished him ... the going rate for disrespect is anywhere from no games for the day to no games for a week. He landed somewhere in the middle.



After dealing with this situation, I was griping to the Lord about ... what on earth made Kregg think he could talk to me that way? What on earth made that boy think he could set the boundaries? Kregg doesn't make the rules. This is MY house and he should go by the rules!



Ouch! I do that EXACT thing to God!



On any given morning, you can find me at my table ... bible open in front of me and my cup of coffee steaming right beside me. The question is ... Do I tell God to "make it quick" because I've got a busy day? Do I ask Him to hurry up and answer my prayers because I've got a life to live? Am I disrespectful to Him in His house?



Yes, I think I am ... at least sometimes.



If I'm not careful ... I can become the 5 year old who wants what she wants and expects everyone to just follow my lead. I need to be the woman God called me to be ... the wife who takes the time to encourage her husband (who has lost a total of 43 lbs!! WhooHoo! Go Jerry!), the mom who takes time out to enjoy the ramblings of three great boys, the daughter and sister who can be depended upon no matter what ... the daughter of God who can slow it down long enough to enjoy time with my Father.



Do you ever tell God to make it quick?


Jeremiah 29:12 "Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment