Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chaos


"That's not fair! Just let me look at it for a minute!" Demanded my five year old.

"No, make me!" My seven year old stood firm.

"Come on guys, knock it off." My fifteen year old tried to defuse the situation.

"Ok boys, come in here, let's work this out." I waited in the other room. No boys ... just more yelling, crying, fighting.

"Guys, did you hear me? Get in here." Again, no boys.

These were the statements bombarding my house on Monday. Each boy was completely convinced they were correct or right in their behavior.

Chaos ... that one word could describe my lunch hour on Monday afternoon.

I came out of my bedroom and made each of them sit down at the kitchen table.

"Didn't you guys hear me calling you?" I asked.

Each boy lowered their head in embarrassment ... "yeah, we heard you."

"Then, why didn't you come to me? I could've fixed the problem before it got this bad." I stood in front of them with my arms folded across my chest. A stern look.

All three of them shrugged. No answer.

As I talked them through the disagreement, something struck me. I am JUST LIKE THAT. This world is filled with noise, distractions ... I spend so much time trying to put out small fires by my own means, that I forget to listen to what God is telling me. And, then the small fire becomes a HUGE fire. There have been so many times in my life where I ended up making things worse, rather than better. All because I tried to "fix" it on my own. Or, I thought I was right and I could make others see it "my way".

If I would just sit back and listen, I would hear God's voice saying "Come to Me, let's work it out."

Instead, I stay in the world filled with noise and distractions. A world full of hurt, pain. When I've finally had enough ... all I have to do is cry out and there He is ... waiting to fix what I've messed up. He asks me, "Didn't you hear me calling? I could've fixed this for you."

Are you listening to His call today? Whatever problem, trouble you have in your life, give it over to Him. He can fix it and give you the strength to get through it.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Jeremiah 29:12-13 "Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for me with all your heart."

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is difficult to get past the distractions of this world. Thank you for the reminder...to sit back and "listen."

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word and picture... God often shows me revelations of my reality through my children... Loved this!

    ReplyDelete