Friday, September 25, 2009

A Stirring of Echoes




Somewhere between my childhood and my life as an adult, there are echoes. Reflections of sounds from days gone by. I recall moments from my youth. I sit and allow memories to pass through my mind in a parade of black and white images. There are some images stamped upon my memory in colors muted by age. Others I remember and others I wonder if possibly I only recall because of pictures.
So, I close my eyes and think ... what do I remember?
Milkshakes and popcorn. My sister and me all curled up under the blankets on my parents bed. I remember watching reruns of The Honeymooners. What was it Ralph always said to Alice during one of his many temper fits? "One of these days, Alice ... straight to the moon!" But, at the end of each 30 minute show, Ralph loved Alice ... over the moon.
Vacations to Michigan, The Henry Ford Museum. The Old Car Festival in the village and my dad telling stories about the different vehicles he rode in during his childhood. Music from days gone by pumping from the street speakers. Lots of people dancing and my parents laughing. Feeding the fish from red and white striped boxes of popcorn.
My parents in gray sweatshirts. The ones with SHS Cheerleader Parent printed on the front. The two of them, sitting on bleachers in the heat, cold, rain or snow ... watching my sister and me cheer for the home football team.
Me, leaning against my mom when my first boyfriend broke my heart. Her, not saying anything, just letting me cry. Now, I'm thankful he broke my heart and she just held me not trying to fix it. I met my husband a year after that heartbreak.
Mom sitting out in front of the local McDonald's until midnight, waiting for my late shift to end and her to drive me home. It never mattered how late it was, she didn't complain. There was always a smile and "How was work tonight?"
In every memory, I can hear the people I love ... their voices and laughter. Echoes from my past. Reflections mirrored in pictures. I wonder what my boys will remember when they are all grown up and on their own. Will they hear my laughter, feel my hands on their faces and my kiss on their cheek? Will they recall the love their father and I share?
What do you remember about your childhood? Are there pictures that stir echoes in your mind?
Wherever you are today, whatever your schedule ... take time to make memories with the ones you love.

7 comments:

  1. Great musings. I do the same thing. I like the idea of echoes. I've never thought of it like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love family history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Aine.
    Thanks for stopping by! This post is timely for our family because of my brand new nephew. For me, it brought back back memories of when I had my own boys. For my Dad it was when they had us. And unspoken between all of us is how we all miss my Mom and wish she could see her newest grandson. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories are precious. I love the details that you remembered...the exact sweatshirts. I remember my mom was in few pictures b/c she always took them and the ones she was in, she never looked primped b/c it was very unexpected.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to each of you for your comments. I'm glad my post has made you remember things about your family and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is also through our cracks and flaws that Gods light shines through. I love what I have read so far and will be back to read more. I got this link off your husbands post on facebook.
    salle gean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Salle. I agree with your thoughts. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete